baslinux - [BL] Emachine Etower 333 only boots with kernel 2.4.31, loadlin

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Emachine Etower 333 only boots with kernel 2.4.31, loadlin
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 16:21:58 +0000 (UTC)

If I boot BL3 or BL2 with loadlin and kernels 2.2.16 (mine) or 2.2.26 (Steven's) I get GPF/kernel panic. My 2.4.31 kernel won't work with usbserial (as module, I would need to recompile it into the kernel).

Since bypassing config.sys allowed a 333MHz Gateway to boot with 2.4.31 (it already booted with 2.2.2.6) I tried that but it did not help.

The Compaq Deskpro boots with loadlin only if you DO have config.sys with both himem.sys and emm386.exe.

Maybe loadlin uses some memory area that is interfered with? Or himem.sys uses some memory that loadlin gets into otherwise?

LILO boot floppy works on all three computers, at least with 2.4.31.
(But the Compaq that came with SCSI drive won't boot from lilo boot floppy unless we also put in an IDE drive).

The Compaq Deskpro and Presario and Emachine (all with onboard ATI video) won't work with Xvesa if you boot with config.sys, but our other computers will, using DOS 7.1 but not most other DOSes.

Are there other brands besides Gateway, Emachine, and Compaq that act this screwy with loadlin and even lilo? We have a DELL to try next.

Can I specify a different kernel when booting with lilo without reinstalling lilo? I tried 'lilo image=/boot/zimage' but it booted to the kernel specified in lilo.conf.