baslinux - [BL] Pilot-link USB kernel, was Re: pilot-link problems

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Pilot-link USB kernel, was Re: pilot-link problems
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:50:55 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

The standard 2.2.26 kernel does not have support for usb_serial as module
but it appeared to insert anyway along with visor (the module needed for
USB PDA connections). It does support usbcore and uhci.
Unable to bind to port.

This was not the kernel that I used. It does not have usb_serial support.

I was unable to get the 'big' kernel to work with USB PDA.
(I did not test it with serial PDA, which works with my 2.4.31 scsi kernel).

I compiled and posted:
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/2.4.31/bzimapda.431 and configpda.431
and mknodpda

Run mknodpda to make /dev/ttyUS0 and 1

This kernel has no fb, sound or scsi support but does do IDE zip drives. It has built-in usbcore, uhci (and I think usb-ohci) and usbserial and visor.

Plug in the PDA cradle to power and USB.

pilot-link -p /dev/ttyUSB1 (not USB or USB0) and a command such as -l to list what is on the PDA, hit Enter key and push the Hotsync button (mechanical or on the screen) and it should connect.

The README.usb said kernel 2.4.21 might be needed for some PDAs.

My serial PDA is 1999, the USB not much newer. Both 2MB RAM
3Com PalmIII and Handspring Visor

Substitute /dev/ttyS0 (or S1 or S2) for serial connection.

We need to set up some other programs on the desktop to display the address book in the proper format, included in the pilot-link packages
at http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/pilot-link-basic-glibc-2.2.5.tgz and -full' (or similar - see blfiles.htm for a list and instructions for use).
There are a bunch of install* and read* with documentation.