baslinux - Re: [BL] Configure printcap etc. for an Epson Stylus

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Configure printcap etc. for an Epson Stylus
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 22:41:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Folks,

I am pleased to say that I have installed a new (second-hand) printer for
DOS and Linux.
It is an HP Laserjet 5N, monochrome. I downloaded to DOS software that goes
with it, and I was also able to print from BL2 by editing deskjet.filter to
make sDEVICE=ljetplus and everything else the same.

I have never seen that model. I have 6L and 1100. I think they will work as plain ljet or ljet4 without the plus. Try several different drivers because sometimes one works faster. (Avoid color drivers, they work but slowly).

How do you make pdf files in DOS?

From HTM files, using Arachne -> xxxx.ps output file, then using Ghostscript
7.x for DOS, or by quickly booting BL2 and using phoenix -> nnn.ps, then ps2pdf.

I did not know Arachne could do this, thanks.
I have a DOS version of Ghostscript 8.30. I can ask permission for you to use it.

Beware of used laser paper feeders and jams unless you are very handy.

This one has been completely reconditioned and has a new paper-feeder installed a few months ago.

It is probably worth whatever that cost to avoid the problem. The new parts are reformulated and should last much longer.

BTW: I have just got ADSL connected, and I have accessed it with BL2. Not sure how, my first few attempts failed miserably, and then it suddenly worked. (using netsetup with dhcp server set). I hope it still works next time. :)

It didn't. :(
Nor the time after that, or the time after that !
I am now back to dial-up.

The ADSL modem/router is a NetComm NB5Plus4, which I am told is running a
Windows system.
Any hints would be gratefully received.

By us too, several of our friends want to switch to broadband and one of them is running BL3 which we set up.

Regards,
Ron