baslinux - Re: [BL] recovering BL3

  • From: mpavicic AT grad.hr (Prof. Mladen Pavicic)
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] recovering BL3
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 15:37:58 +0200

Hi!

On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 02:00:49PM +1200, 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
> LIL- usually means the descriptor table is damaged.

Any chance to fix it?

> > I used the BL3 flopies to get to hda1
>
> Have you re-executed lilo -v ?

Yes, but it is trying to merge the boot sector from
the current root (/hda1) with /boot/boot.b which is
in RAM and: "Sorry, don't know how to handle
device 0x0100"

> > but I could not make lilo read vmlinuz
>
> vmlinuz? Is your kernel called vmlinuz?
> The usual BL3 is called zimage.

Sorry, typo. I was writing by heart and since I have
Ubuntu on another laptop ...
You are right: it's zimage.

> > and the hda1 boot sector.
>
> You might try editing /etc/lilo.conf to tell
> lilo to boot from the MBR (/dev/hda).

Yes, I tried this (both: boot /dev/hda
and boot /hd/dev/hda and also hda1).
Still: "Sorry, don't know how to handle
device 0x0100"

> Other than lilo, is everying else working OK?
> If that is the only problem, we should be able
> to sort out the booting problem.

Well, it doesn't work as it should. E.g., it
doesn't have paths defined. When I want use
vi or mc from hda1 I have to type in the whole
path. But that is to be expected.

Cheers,

Harry.