baslinux - Re: [BL] ramdrive version doesn't boot

  • From: "Nomdo Jansonius" <nomdo AT dds.nl>
  • To: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ramdrive version doesn't boot
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 22:17:35

OpenDOS 7.01. Here are my config.sys and autoexec.bat:

device=c:\dos\himem.sys
device=c:\dos\dpms.exe
dos=high
buffers=30
files=50
country=031,,c:\dos\country.sys
lastdrive=f
device=c:\dos\vdisk.sys 32767 /e
device=c:\dos\vide-cdd.sys /d:cd-rom

path c:\batfiles;c:\dos;c:\editor;c:\lan
prompt $p$g
verify on
mode con rate=30 delay=1
ctmouse
nwcdex /d:cd-rom

Inspired by your asking for these two files, I made a clean DOS boot
floppy (format a: /s), rebooted my computer, changed to my second HD and
started with succes BL2 RAMDISK version from d:! The weird thing is,
however, that I cannot remember a recent change to either config.sys or
autoexec.bat. I have removed emm386.exe some time ago (rather unstable to
my opinion) and at that time I introduced dpms.exe (this increased free
DOS memory from 562 to 615K).

Put a REM in front of dpms.exe did not work:

Uncompressing Linux....
ran out of input data
-- System halted

Presumably, to little DOS memory (562K)? Next, I put a REM in front of
vdisk. Now BL2 RAMDISK version runs fine!

So, it seems that the problem is solved. But how can vdisk hamper BL2?
The difference in free DOS memory is only 2K (615 versus 617K). I have
such a big DOS virtual disk because I run arachne from that (including
its cache).

All the best, Nomdo