baslinux - [BL] ext2 to loop

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] ext2 to loop
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 01:52:46 +0000 (UTC)

How would I copy the BL3.40 ext2 setup from hard drive to loop BL3.40?
I have made a .tgz file of all the files in the ext2 version, after booting with the loop version.

This is for a computer which is mostly full of Win98, which I don't think I can compress into less space because near the end of the drive are lots of unmovable files.

So I want to make a 100MB loop fsnew.img and transfer the contents of the .tgz file to it.

I think I would
dd if=/dev/zero of=/fsnew.img bs=1024k count=100

wait a bit, then
mke2fs fsnew.img

So far, this is the way to enlarge the loop version - mount both image files and copy all the files from the old to the new one, then rename the new one to the original name (or change the batch file boot.bat to use the new name), but I want to copy a .tgz file instead.

Do I just mount -o loop fsnew.img and copy the .tgz file to it and uncompress it?

I have loop BL3.40 on the Windows computer and can put the .tgz file into the baslin directory first, or copy it directly from the other computer to the mounted loop file.