baslinux - Re: [BL] pdf reader security update

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pdf reader security update
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:03:03 +0000 (UTC)

yOn Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Sindi,

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 02:29:23 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

Does ghostscript offer the option of printing the bottom 1/2" of a page?

I don't think so.

The printer can obviously print it, since if I print A4 pages they print
right to the bottom (and there is even some that does not get printed
because the page is longer than my paper) but letter size pages leave a
1/2" blank at the bottom instead of printing the last 1/2". I don't know
if this is a default for ghostscript or for my HP laserjet 6 printer.

Remember that most printers leave a margin left/right/top/bottom on which
they cannot print because of their own geometry. I don't know about laserjet
printers, but I know the size of my deskjet's print area, and I have set it
accordingly for most of my printing.

Maybe you need to edit your laserjet.filter or whatever it is called, so
that it knows it has to print a whole letter-sized area.

I think letter size is the default but I can try specifying it anyway.

We have fixed the Ljet 6 paper feed by disassembling the printer (there is a website with detailed instructions at one of the printer repair parts places) and cleaning off (alcohol?) the two small snap-out auxiliary pads to the side of the central slippery one (which has to stay slippery - putting in something stickier kept it from feeding any pages). Now it feeds one page at a time instead of all of them. The website said to REPLACE the side pads ($11 plus shipping). The side pads appear to hold back the rest of the sheets. We also cleaned the rubber rollers.

I think I can get David's odd/even script working at 300 dpi. Turns out I had two copies of the printing script on my computer, and I had omitted -res 300 on the one first in the path. So pdftopnm, then cut off the first 150 rows (chop off the top 1/2") with pamcut and rename using Steven's suggested approach with {}, and print with David's scripts using pbmtolj. I will first try specifying letter size instead of using the default.

I think we will use up the colored ink in the Epson C80 with the Win98 computer I saved for upgradin internal X2 modems with (requires Windows) until I learn to compile gimp-print or someone else does it for us.

> Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke