baslinux - Re: [BL] pdf reader security update

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] pdf reader security update
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 08:19:04 +1000

HI Sindi,

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 01:48:00 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> >> Someone just steered me to Foxit (updated Feb 13, 2006), which offers a
> >> free-for-linux PDF reader that is a 3MB download and is tested working
> >> with Fedora 4 and Suse 10 (and also a 1MB Windows version). Would
> >> someone
> >> with broadband like to download it and report back on the dependencies?
> >
> > I just did all of that.
>
> Thanks. I don't recall ever seeing a longer list of dependencies!
>
> Maybe most of this stuff is automatically included in Fedora as part of
> KDE or GNOME?

I don't know about that, but it also does not work in a full installation
of SW9.1 - but with only one dependancy missing - libstdc++.so.6 => not found.

> I will stick with the 'larger' but mostly self-contained xpdf and also try
> gv for printing odd or even pages.

That would be my choice also.

> Will gv let you crop the top 1/4" of a
> page so as not to cut off the bottom 1/4"?

I don't know.

> (My printer omits the bottom
> 1/2" of any page formatted in letter size pdf, but prints 'A4' off the
> bottom of the page).

I have the same problem, but only with pages that have been set greater
than A4 - which is also the default for my printer, which may be a clue as to
how to fix it. Perhaps editing the printcap or deskjetfilter (in my case).

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke