baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.40 module problems resolved, was: Re: unresolved symbol skb_pad

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.40 module problems resolved, was: Re: unresolved symbol skb_pad
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 01:52:46 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

smc91c92_cs.o module for my PCMCIA ethernet card works perfectly in a
desktop PCMCIA slot with the standard BL3.40 kernel.

I have not tried the PCMCIA modem that had problems in the laptop.

I have no idea why it won't work in our Toshiba pentium laptop. Maybe some
sort of memory conflict, or maybe I did something stupid. But I used the
exact same 'start' file and just different kernel and modules and it
worked with 2.2.16.

The module was 6 bytes shorter in the Toshiba laptop, maybe something to do with having transferred it via floppy disk and DOS. Replacing it fixed the problem and the ethernet card worked in both laptops.

The 56K modem which was not working right in the Toshiba seemed to work in the Hitachi and dialed but it disconnects in 1.1 to 1.9 seconds while I am connected to SDF via ssh, reading mail. This 28.8K one works fine. The 56K came out of a Mac laptop but is not labelled Mac. It IS however labelled K56-Flex, which is no longer a supported standard. I should check if it also does V90 but the ati commands only tell me 56000 and RC56DPF. Our X2 56K modems will connect at 28.8K and stay connected.
Is this typical behavior for a flex?

transcript.1 reveals that it connected at 57600 but not the protocol.

Our local library has wireless broadband but I think no place to plug into their network using this ethernet card. David, are you still trying to compile ndiswrapper?

There are other ways to use library broadband. A friend just gave us a 64MB USB memory stick that we can use to bring home large files downloaded on the library computers, thanks to David's kernel. I may fetch 2.2.26 kernel source and make my own smaller scsi kernel. Libraries get upset if you plug in parallel port zip drives or serial camera cables or even floppy disks (you need to buy theirs) but don't seem to mind USB sticks.

Everything is now working for me with BL3.40 except the 'mail' menu because of the bolds, on one computer with ATI video. It works okay on this Hitachi laptop with CT video.

How would I change to a square cursor instead of a thin blinking one, which is hard to spot on this LCD screen?