baslinux - Re: [BL] unresolved symbol skb_pad

  • From: "Sheldon Isaac" <SheldonIsaac AT MyRealBox.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] unresolved symbol skb_pad
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 13:48:23 -0500

On 6 Mar 2006 at 18:04, sindi keesan wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Sheldon Isaac wrote:
SNIP
> > insmod rtl8139
> > results in
> > unresolved symbol skb_pad
> >
> > I thought it was the same rtl8139.o I'd used in the past just fine, with
> > BL3.32 ?

I looked and looked, and there were copies of two different rtl8139.o files
scattered around two computers (asus and other ); the "good" one is
16,948 bytes, and the one which I could not insmod was 17,076 bytes????

> I had a problem with a PCMCIA ethernet module and also PCMCIA modem, with
> 2.2.26. In the config file for the small BL3.40 kernel, rtl8139 is NOT
> included as a module. Have you tried the 'big' kernel, which does include
> such support, for BL3.40 with rtl8139.o ? If that works, maybe Steven
> should recompile the small kernel with some specific ethernet module
> support. (I should also try it with the laptop ethernet card).

config and such is more advanced than I've gotten to.

Thanks for trying to help, Sindi.

As I said, the 16,948 bytes rtl8139.o seems to work with BL 2.26

A year ago? I used BL 3.32? on this computer, "asus", and BL 2.1 on
computer "other".
Steven had helped me to get nfs working, said bzimage (for Slackware 7.1?)
was needed. On which computer? I put the rpc.* files (by installpkg
tcpicp1.tgz) on computer "other", and they show up when I say ps on that
computer.

But now when I try to mount -t nfs 192.168.1.1:/ /other
it won't do it.

Maybe the linux kernel that comes with BL 3.40 can't do nfs, and Steven
told me about the zimage that came with BL 3.32?

Does the Linux version 2.2.26 vs the 2.2.16 of previous years have
something to do with all this?

What about the bzimage (735,763 bytes) that I used to use? Is it OK to use
it with BL 3.40?

Oh, did you mean try
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/add-ons/2_2_26/bzimage.big
with BL3.40? I will try that.

What does one gain or lose with which combinations?

Help, can someone make a summary/FAQ/comparison-chart?

Thanks,
Sheldon