baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera with BL 3.40 Re: BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera with BL 3.40 Re: BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 04:18:23 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, James Miller wrote:

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

Should I post a package of these libraries for use with Opera in BL3?

(There are also unrelated lib*.so.2 libraries from BL3: libext2fx,
libtermcap, libcom_err.)

Installing the BL3 icewm package provides all the needed X libraries.

Is JP's links2 for BL2/svgalib ssl-capable? If so, I will also get that
working because my friend really likes using the arrow keys to navigate in
links, and 'q a TAB' are too much for him in Opera.

Please _do_ put together a package of needed libs for running Opera in
BL3, along with instructions for installing it. One thing BL3 will
definitely need in order to be appealing to many these days is a
full-fledged graphical browser. Thanks for puzzling out how to run one.

I set this up without symlinks for the libraries, just used the actual library with the name of what was the symlink (libc.so.6 rather than something with 2.2.25 in it). Is this acceptable? I don't know how to make packages with scripts using busybox pkg, I just used tar, and it came out that way.

Just those two additional libraries were needed (libresolv, libnss_dns) in addition to what ldd revealed for opera. We got our friend using links2 and opera and all went well except that he forgot his password for the site he needed opera for (he had just changed it) and the local mail account went down within an hour before we went over there to help him.

He would like to be able to type one letter to get straight into mail. But he does not want opera to start with his home page, but rather the page he was on when he exited. Maybe Opera has a single-letter way to get to the home page.

My partner wants to put a duplicate of this setup on his laptop on a 40GB drive. He can keep photos on most of it, he says.

As for JP's links2, he did compile a version that was ssl-capable.
Statically compiled, IIRC. I also seem to recall it was labelled "ssl"
Thanks. Where is the static version? What I have has lots of dependencies. Maybe it is a newer version from delilinux.

somewhere. But this may not solve your friend's problem: I tried this
version of links2 with my bank and it wouldn't work because the website
was detecting browsers by name and wouldn't let a browser without the
proper name interact with the secure server. You may run into the same
problem: browser is capable, but it is disallowed because not used/known
widely enough.

James