baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera with BL 3.40 Re: BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera with BL 3.40 Re: BL3.40 pkg "invalid tar magic"
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:13:23 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Our Compaq computer would not work with ethernet
The 3c509 insmodded

Did the insmod bring up a line about eth0 ?

Yes, and 'route' showed an additional line. But ping did not work.

If not, it could be the wrong module (or the card is faulty).

Could easily be a bad card. I had lent someone the two known working 3c509s with AUI (for which I had to run a DOS configuration program to switch to RJ45) but this is RJ45 only. We used the two RJ45/BNC with BNC connectors and cable and they work.

We tried plip, then llpro via DOS.

The mini-Compaq has a board not lined up well with the case, so it is hard to get cards in and out therefore I did not try any others.

We set up without ethernet or CD-ROM drive or sound. Onboard SiS works with Xvesa at 1024 (minus 4MB onboard RAM) after editing XFconfig to 1024x768x15.

USB worked in DOS and in BL3.40 with 2.4.31 kernel. He may just take the Jphoto camera to K-Mart to print. We showed him how to display directly to a TV.