baslinux - Re: [BL] slow upload speed, was Re: multiple systems (among other things) -- was Re: interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] slow upload speed, was Re: multiple systems (among other things) -- was Re: interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 16:08:40 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

I checked my internal non-USR modem and my external 1997 USB Sportster
(upgraded to V90) at both 115200 and 57600 connect speeds.

Non-USR connects at V90 with MNP/MNP5

In eznet.conf I had been giving this non-USR modem the same init string
as my USR modem, and it apparently turns MNP on instead of off to tell it
S15=128 (and does not speed up the login process to tell it S32=34, which for USR skips X2 and goes straight to V90 but this one boings for much longer.)

I simplified to AT&F1 and now this modem connects with LAPM/V42BIS like
the USR. They are both 50666 upload speeds.

USR uses V42BIS and LAPM

Non-USR takes 2 min 20 sec to Kermit FTP upload a 180K file. It starts
off at 10K, then 25K, then a big pause, then gradually decreases speeds to
4K, 3.3, 2.7, 2.5, 2.3, 2, 1.96 1.88 1.84, 1.80 and there are big pauses
after each time it switches speeds, so that the final average speed is
1340 CPS. Same behavior at both connect speeds.

The USR modem takes 50 sec to upload the same file, slowing to about 4K by
the end, also with long pauses, and the average speeds are for 57600
connect 3040 CPS and for 115200 3221 CPS.

So I still have some problem but less severe.

For USR I have disabled MNP with S15=128 but I think that may be specific
to USR Sportster. I will try it anyway with the other modem.

Sindi

The non-USR modem, with the proper init string and V42BIS instead of MNP, has the same stalling problems but is going much faster, and uploaded the same file at average speed 3151 instead of 1340 CPS. (There is still about a 20 sec wait at the end using Kermit file transfer or Kermit FTP, with nothing obvious happening). Can I do much better with 50666/31200
speed? The USR peak speed V90 was 53333 (download). Maybe there is some way to tell Kermit not to send too fast to the modem. I bought the book.

So I have doubled my upload speed by using the right init string for each modem. (Why can't they standardize?).

I checked out the modemsite troubleshooter and it said if I have frequent stalls to try a slower connect speed. The port speed does not seem to affect uploads since it is faster in either case, but would it slow my downloads to use 57600 instead of 115200? Another day's experiment.