baslinux - [BL] slow upload speed, was Re: multiple systems (among other things) -- was Re: interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] slow upload speed, was Re: multiple systems (among other things) -- was Re: interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:10:50 +0000 (UTC)

We have the same problems with all of our 56K modems, internal and
external. Why is upload speed only about 1.6-1.7K but download can be 5K?

because the ISPs side is digital (less noise) but your side is
analog... when a 56k modem uploads it uses the same method as a 33.6k
(if its not using v.pcm upstream that is) but when it downloads it
uses a psudo-digital method...

when the buffer in the modem gets full it tells the comp to stop
sending data (CS) and this.. combined with the unbalanced speed of 56k
(or even some 33.6k) modems can make for a rather unstable
connection....

install curl and use its software bandwidth throttle to slow the
upload to 2k/s ... wont be as fast but will be stable...

It can't be any slower than the 1.6-1.7K upload I am getting now.
Somehow it uses up all the bandwidth so I can't do any browsing at the
same time at reasonable speed.

a test on your upspeed/downspeed (to get a very rough idea) would be
to open minicom (or whatever) and type first;

ATZ
you should get OK
then ATDT <isp phone number>
depending on what your ip uses you may see login: or just a bunch of
random junk.... wait a couple of seconds and press the "+" key three
times... dont press any other key... you should get OK
type ATH0
it should hang up the line and say OK again.... if the modem beats you
to hanging up you will get something like NO CARRIER... this is ok...

at this point type AT&V1 if it is a rockwell/conexant modem or ATI6 if
it is a USR... youll get quite a bit of diagnostic info on the
connection you made... including your upspeed and downspeed usually
written something like 46666/24000

this is the fastest transfer rates your phone line can handle (may
slow down later on... due to fall back from noise)

USR Sportster external 50666/31200
Maximum SMTP upload just under 2K/sec. Probably a noisy phone line, the area is 1900s and the squirrels chew on the wires and they get wet.

To get this info:
kermit
set car off (set carrier watch off)
c (connect)
at&f1 (not ATZ for Sportster)
atdt phone number
I dialed a university 'ISP' and had to give host name, login, password,
before it would accept the +++ and ATH0

Kermit would not accept commands again until I exited then reloaded it and
set car off
ati6 (Sportster) gave the speeds.

So I need some way to limit upload speed to 31200 or maybe only 2Kbytes/sec.

Curl mentioned working with HTTP, FTP and TELNET, not SMTP. My FTP uploads are even slower than my SMTP uploads and slow progressively - would curl make them faster (to sdf)?

The download link for curl and libcurl at sourceforge does not work.
Exiting with error. (Using lynx, which works for netpbm at sourceforge).

Packages are available for Slackware 9.* and 10.*
(New distributions do have some advantages).

Linuxpackages has curl 6.2 for Slackware 7 and 7.10.3 for Slackware 8.1

I recommend everyone upgrade their ext2 BL2 libc to that from SW8.1, it is not much larger and lets you use many more precompiled programs.

You need to add to lynx.cfg to use this download site with lynx:

REFERER_WITH_QUERY:PARTIAL
(instead of the default:DROP)

Japanese mirror is not working, try the French one.
4.6K/sec download 350K package

This package includes /usr/bin/curl and the libraries (so and a) and doc and man and has a 250K .cert (for SSL?) that is larger than the binary itself. The certificate should end in .pem. I have one already for lynx that is over 600K. I think you can specify where to look for cert.pem

30 man pages. setopt looks most informative if you can understand it.

Sam, how would you FTP upload a file at max 2K/sec? Is this a command line with options or do you need to edit a config file? I can't follow this man page. Curl appears to be a file transfer program like wget or a browser.

CURLOPT_LOWSPEED_LIMIT looks relevant.

Can I delete libcurl.a?