baslinux - Re: [BL] slow upload speed, was Re: multiple systems (among other things) -- was Re: interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)

  • From: Samual Acorn <sam.acorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] slow upload speed, was Re: multiple systems (among other things) -- was Re: interesting info for those with trident cards (possibly applies to others)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:43:44 -0600

did you not try any other ftp servers?

some things that might improve (maybe only slightly) performance

turn on selective reject (you will need the manual for your specific
modem for this one)

slow the modem itself down...

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/faster.asp

buy an RF choke (this will get rid of the 'mexican radio' problem....
if you have such a problem... [hear music or voices during otherwise
silent moments when talking on the phone?] )

http://www.digikey.com

check the wiring;

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/demarc.asp

or give this thing a try;

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/tshoot.asp
(interactive trouble shooter)

www.modemsite.com itself should have everything you would want to know
about modems...

btw, purchasing a V.92 modem will give you the V.44 compression
protocol... may improve performance given that it was written with
multimedia/web (music/movies/images/html) in mind.... ive seen speeds
of 15K/s (fast as the serial port goes) for the entire duration of
large text-file downloads...

have fun.... but dont hold your breath...