baslinux - Re: [BL] New kernel for BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] New kernel for BL3
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:39:45 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

constant wrote:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/add-ons/2_2_26
---------------------------------------------------------------------->
Let me know if you want 4dx and P1 versions of the 2.2.26 kernel.

For me the P1 please ;-)

OK, I've just uploaded 4dx, p1 and p2 kernels.

I don't know which kernel to use with some of the faster cpus.

Intel cpus in Socket 7 are only P1, up to 233MHz.

We have three Slot1 boards that we upgraded to 266 or 300Hz from 233MHz (which cpu was this?) The 233MHz cpus are labelled Pentium II.

Intel cpus in Slot1 from 233-300 MHz are P2 and use 66MHz SDRAMS (or PC100 at least sometimes but they don't take advantage of it). Celerons (266 and 300MHz) have no onchip L2 cache but are PII. Mendocino (300A to 533MHz) has onchip cache. (I should check what we have next time I boot linux, from dmesg. Is there some way to determine the speed of SDRAM that is not labelled PC100 or 66MHz - does the -10 on the chips mean PC100?)

Dechutes are 300-450MHz P2 that run at 100MHz bus speed (is this right?).

For PIII do you need 133MHz bus speed?

Anyway, anything Intel not in a Socket 7 board appears to be at least P2.
The first PIIs were made around 1998, which means there are lots of free ones around here already, so it is good to have a P2 kernel.

AMDs of the same speed and bus speed 100MHz are not necessarily P2. What makes a P2?

I learned earlier on the list that AMD K6 (Socket 7, 66MHz bus speed and SDRAM, 166-300MHz) and AMD K6-2 (Super Socket 7, 100MHz bus speed and PC100 SDRAM, 300MHz and 350MHz) are equivalent to P1. So is the 3D version (the cpu has instructions built into it to handle games better). They have motherboard cache but not onchip L2 cache.

We have now been given cpus, some already in SS7 boards (100MHz, PC100) of 400, 450, 500, and 533 MHz. I read that these cpus are K6-3 and have onchip L2 cache (and the motherboard cache is now used as L3 cache).

Does this make them P2? What is the linux criterion for P2 as opposed to P1? It can't be bus speed. Is it onboard cache? Do I simply attempt to boot with P2 and if it won't boot, it is P1? Will dmesg tell me if I have P1 or P2 equivalent in AMD?