baslinux - Re: [BL] New kernel for BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] New kernel for BL3
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 00:25:27 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

Sheldon Isaac wrote:

zimage 11-Nov-2005 01:02 448K
zimage.4dx 11-Nov-2005 14:08 432K
zimage.p1 11-Nov-2005 14:11 421K
zimage.p2 11-Nov-2005 14:14 421K

What should I use on my ASUS p5a motherboard (super socket 7),
which has an AMD K6-2-450 processor?

The zimage kernel should work with just about anything.
The zimage.p2 will probably perform best on your CPU.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru

David said that the Mplayer he compiled for P2 would not run on my AMD K6-2 350 MHz (he was right). I will attempt to boot with the P2 kernel on the 350 and 450MHz (both '3D') and on the 500MHz (which might be K6-3) and report back. Will a kernel that is for a newer cpu simply not boot?

A 600MHz cpu worked with the P2 Mplayer. I don't think this is an AMD Super Socket 7 type.

Where would we see a measurable difference in performance, and by how much?