baslinux - [BL] Xvesa and MS DOS 7.1 standalone

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Xvesa and MS DOS 7.1 standalone
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 20:00:18 +0000 (UTC)

We had to put MS DOS 7.10 on three computers to make them boot with loadlin. Now Xvesa won't work with this OS on this computer - I tried BL3 loop and ext2 hd. Illegal instruction.

I installed xsvga.tgz and no-xvesa.tgz instead and they work fine except that we need to change to a PS/2 mouse. I will also use my config file that sets up for xsvga and 1024 resolution. We have a Trident card.

BL3 with Xvesa works on our other computers with this DOS 7.10 and it worked with DR-DOS on these computers on those rare occasions when it would boot with loadlin and DR-DOS.

We then chrooted to the identical copy of BL3 on a second drive plugged into this computer and installed xsvga and no-xvesa and copied over my XF86Config and things worked there too except that links2 -g produces a very pretty blinking pastel screen - light purple background, blue strip at top, turquoise at right, green at bottom.

It blinks when you move the mouse to the screen edge and you get the usual blue background as long as the mouse stays there. PS/2 mouse.

This computer will be used for both DOS and linux so needs himem.sys therefore we will not experiment with it. We remarked out smartdrv because they caused problems in Windows DOS 7.1.

This is xsvga not xvesa!!!!!

We will try links2 in BL2 with svgalib and hope it works there.

We have no color problems with BL3 links2 -g on other computers in Xvesa. I did not try with xsvga elsewhere.

MagicPoint looks normal here. It is something about this hardware interacting with DOS 7.10 standalone and both Xvesa (illegal instruction) and xsvga ( messes up the colors in links2).

The kids we are making these computers for want a graphical browser. Maybe Opera will work better.

The sound works perfectly with Opti929, and even with speaker output (on-card amp) sounds great! Speaker out is just right for small non-powered speakers, at its high setting, and for headphones at a middle setting. A later Opti 931 sounds really crummy with speaker out - loud buzz. Cards are not what they used to be.