baslinux - [BL] GPF booting linux from hard drive.

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] GPF booting linux from hard drive.
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 02:28:26 +0000 (UTC)

We have a computer that works fine in DOS. I put BL3 on hda2 and BL2 on hdb1 and ramdisk BL2 on hda1 with DOS. The last of these boots fine.
DOS works. The hard drive linuxes and even loop linux get to the line just before Dentry hash tables. .... and get a GPF with a list of numbers and eventually a kernel panic or something. Memtest passed the computer, which was given to us to recycle along with many others some of which were okay. How would we determine where the problem is in the hardware?

What is a hash table and is that what is causing the problem?

We were going to clone the computer we made for a young friend, for his brother, but can put the drives elsewhere. Just curious what might be the problem here.

The young friend would like to know if he can download entire threads from this mail list because he is trying to read it all in reasonable order, offline. I think he may already know more than I do about linux.