baslinux - Re: [BL] playmidi and aumix

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] playmidi and aumix
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 16:52:24 +0000 (UTC)

I have an nvidia with 64MB, and the other cards I had until now are 1-4MB.
(Is the Nvidia also vesa frame buffer?)

Yes. I'd be surprised if there was any card with that much memory that
didn't do vesafb.

There's a relatively new nVidia driver out there, it's known to
work on Riva 128, TNT and GeForce2 chipsets, also others have
been reported working.

I have Nvidia GeForce MX420 which is probably too old. And the
other two cards we were given both have fans on their heat sinks
and are:

inno3D MX(400) 64MG AGP MX-128 Rev 2.1
ASUS AGP-V7700/32MB G-Force Pure DDR 32MB - is this an older Nvidia too?

This one may be a Ti (Titanium)

MX is a stripped-down Geforce something. Somewhat like a Celeron
and the various Pentium incarnations.

These two cards are based on Nvidia GeForce2. The 32MB one used to cost $173 and also came in a deluxe version with 3D glasses. It is not MX.

The Nvidia MX420 (in there now, PCI) and the inno3D MX400 have 64MB and TV output but are MX.

A review said the MX420 Geforce2 was much faster than the 400, but is AGP (the 400) faster than PCI (the 420)?

Another site said the MX400 did 2.7GB/sec and the Ti 6.4GB/sec (under Memory), both GeForce2.

Is MX with 64MB or Ti with 32MB likely to play DVDs better/faster?
I. e., is memory size or speed more important here?

The Ti also has per-pixel shading, whatever that is.

I may run some experiments on that video clip (or time how many sec it takes for a DVD to lose its sound).

All of these are supposed to support two displays. (Not that there is a place to plug in two monitors, that I can see).