baslinux - Re: [BL] XF86Config for 1024 res normal X server in BL3

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] XF86Config for 1024 res normal X server in BL3
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 21:37:02 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> I copied over the xsvga.tgz and no-xvesa.tgz files via plip. First
> I set up the parport zip disk linux with xsvga at 1024 on the
> pentium and it works fine there, if a bit slowly, in svga X. I
> then tried to boot it on the Compaq 486 and discovered that the
> zimage on the floppy disk is for pentium only.

Wait a minute. Is this the zimage from my original floppy image?
That one was the stock BL3 loop kernel.

> So I substituted
> zimage.4dx from BL3 and was told that imm thinks the block size is
> 512 bytes and the disk size is 1GB. I have a 100MB parport zip
> disk. I tried using the zip disk from regular ext2 BL3 and when I
> did insmod imm.o I got the same error message. So David appears to
> have included something in the kernel (not specific to imm, his
> kernel was originally for ppa.o) which lets something know that the
> zip disk is 100MB. What do I need to add when I insmod imm.o in
> order to use it with a regular linux, rather than from the zip
> drive?

You shouldn't need to add anything. Try using one of the Slackware
kernels. I believe that there's at least one that supports zip
disks.

> David, if you have time, you could change this kernel to one that works
> with 386 and 486, so it could be used for file transfers to old laptops.
> Or to show friends with old laptops that they can run linux on them.

You can change it, too. Just replace the zimage on the disk with a
different one. Perhaps bare.i from Slackware will work?

> The result of all this was that xsvga is not working.
>

> SVGA: WD (three lines about this - I have a WD video chip)
> SVGA: chipset wd90c24 (it detected this)
> clocks : 28.32 28.32 .. (two lines of this)

*red flag*! Only one dotclock rate is supported (28.32)?!

> I typed startx and got exactly the same result as before except instead of
> There is no mode definition named "640x480" I got
> There is no defined dot-clock macthing mode "640x480".

Try this modeline. Add it with the others in the appropriate section
of XF86Config. Comment out the other 640x480 ones while you're at it.
This is 67.4 Hz, 33.7 KHz so you will need to adjust the range of
allowed sync ranges.

Modeline "640x480" 28.32 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync

I found a website which may be relevant.

http://scottie.20m.com/xwindow.html

Please use this in a text mode browser, unless you like popup ads.

Another one:

http://www.angelfire.com/nt/sucks/XF86Config.html

> > Look a few days back in this thread for my post on this. You can find
> > Steven's original message about this on Apr 14, 2003.
>
> Thanks, I will use google to search on virtual screen and basiclinux.

It would probably be easier to just browse through the April postings.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com