baslinux - [BL] XF86Config for 1024 res normal X server in BL3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] XF86Config for 1024 res normal X server in BL3
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 19:26:35 +0000 (UTC)

keesan.freeshell.org/bl/XF86Config.102460Hz

I added modelines and hsync lines to Steven's basic 800x600 XF86Config in his no-xvesa.tgz package so that it would work with a monitor that does 1024x768 at 60Hz (a low-end 1024-max), and work with a PS/2 mouse.

I tested it only with xsvga and added 1024x768 only to the svga section, so if you use an accelerated driver, add 1024x768 there.

I also added a variety of other lines, all commented out, that you can uncomment to try with newer monitors at up to 1280. Add "1280x1024" to the Modes line.

The Modelines were copied over from a computer that was working with a 1600 res monitor and xsvga driver with SiS and S3 Virge. I did not copy anything for 1600 or the higher hsyncs for other modes. I hope this will work on all monitors at their highest resolution (up to 1280). Start with the lowest hsync for each resolution. Mine worked with the first one that was not interlaced but not with the next one up (black screen). In theory using too high hsync (or is it vsync? I left that at the minimum) can damage a monitor.

I hope to use this on the new Gateway laptop at 1024, and will also remove the '800x600' from Modes to use it on the Compaq 486. I don't have high hopes for the Compaq since it is not a VESA video chip and won't even work properly in DOS except with Paradise drivers in Compushow (and probably in Windows with whatever driver came with the computer).

In theory, it should also work with any other computers to eliminate the problems people are having with Xvesa and MS-DOS 6 or 7 himem.sys or other things in config.sys (was it smartdrv that also caused problems?). There are no guarantees that you won't damage your monitor, but if you want to take a chance try it with the lowest setting for your highest resolution, and you should not have to puzzle out xf86config to set things up. Would someone else please try it (on an older 1024 monitor) and report back?

I was able to switch between the three resolutions (starting with 1024) with Ctrl-Alt-+ (?I think that was it) which gave me magnified partial screens at 800 and 640. How do I move around in this sort of screen? I forget how to set this for a virtual screen at 1600 or larger - someone please remind me and I can add that to the config file too.