baslinux - Re: [BL] XF86Config for 1024 res normal X server in BL3

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] XF86Config for 1024 res normal X server in BL3
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 13:43:05 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> Progress! (Using the modeline from the websites, which does not
> tell me Dotclock expected, and the Clocks line is back).
>
> error opening security policy file
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy (all on one line)
>
> I got this one time earlier with the vga or maybe the mono server.
> I don't even have /usr/X11R6/lib/X11. Perhaps this file needs to
> be added from somewhere (in Steven's little no-xvesa.tgz package).
> I can't figure this out from a websearch - what does security have
> to do with X_SVGA? The server worked with three other video chips.

I found a suggestion online to touch the file:

mkdir -p /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
touch /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy

Are you sure that this is the only problem?

> > 1) XFree86 won't allow modes outside the HorizSync, VertSync, and
> > resolution settings which you have chosen.
>
> Why did setting a range work, when setting the exact frequencies
> did not? I notice you said 67.4 and someone else 67.36.

The frequency which I specified was likely not exactly correct. Ranges
work OK, and if there are no other ModeLines besides the one which you
are using, there is no problem.

> > 2) Your graphics card may not allow bad modes (which is the case
> > here)
> > 3) As a last resort, a good monitor will not allow incorrect
> > modes.
> Can an LCD monitor be damaged by the wrong modes?

Probably. Wrong modes will also make a very ugly display.

> >> Does Vertical Refresh mean the number of lines put on the screen in
> >> one scan from top to bottom?
> >
> > It means the number of times the electron beam of a CRT goes from top
> > to bottom (round-trip) each second.
>
> 67 times per second. This monitor or chip is also 60Hz - what is
> that measuring?

Vsync. LCDs usually accept 60Hz as input, but they have no electron beam
scanning up and down, so this doesn't really affect them.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com