baslinux - Re: [BL] XF86Config for 1024 res normal X server in BL3

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] XF86Config for 1024 res normal X server in BL3
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 23:41:51 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> I looked at these sites.
>
> The first is for the same chip I have. They suggest under "Monitor"
>
> Modeline "640x480" 28.32 640 664 760 800 480 491 493 525
> (with no -hsync or -vsync)
>
> and under "Device"
>
> Clocks 28.32 [16 times in a row] 49.84
>
> No mention of HorizSync or VertRefresh. Where did you get your numbers?

>From a different XF86Config. As long as it is a 640x480 mode and has the
correct dotclock it should work. One of these _has_ to work.

> The second site is for chipset wd90c31
>
> They use an identical Modeline for 640x480
>
> There are two Clocks sections, for lcd and for crt, the former
> remarked out but it reads:
>
> Clocks 28.29 28.32 28.30 28.29 28.30 28.32 28.29 28.30 49.79
>
> This is a different computer from mine as well as different video chipset.
>
> HorizSync 35.36
> VertRefresh 67.36
>
> Your numbers were '67.4 Hz 33.7 KHz' which I thought was horiz and vert.

vert and horiz.

> Where did you get your numbers? I presume I should enter them as:
>
> HorizSync 33.7
> VertRefresh 67.4
>
> If this does not work should I try 35.36 instead, or does it just
> have to be fairly close to the right number?

A range would also work, since your graphics card denies bad modes.

> Do LCD monitors have one single value rather than a range? It is
> not as if you can get a variable number of pixels like you maybe
> can with a moving beam.

Your LCD only takes one value for the dotclock. I have seen others
which don't care about the dotclock as long as the vertical
refresh is a sane value. Desktop LCD monitors have a little adapter
to convert the scanning signal into a fixed signal which drives
the LCD. Laptops usually put this functionality in the graphics
chip.

> I found http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/WstDig3.html which says SVGA
> supports this chip (and most of my other cards except S3 and Nvidia
> and Trio3D) and that it detects 17 clocks (it did) and that there
> are adjustable (programmable) clocks, whatever that means. What
> are dot clocks?

See prev. message. It's kind of hard to explain.

> Does a low clock setting mean it displays more slowly?

On an LCD, any clock that works will behave mostly the same. On
a CRT, this affects the refresh rate and resolution combination.

David

once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com