baslinux - Re: [BL] framebuffer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] framebuffer
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 03:12:30 +0000 (UTC)

Matrox:

First I tried with the plain Bl2 kernel and insmodded all the fbcons and then matroxfb. It complained about 18 unresolved symbols, including what looked like 8, 16, 24 and 32 bit versions of the 2 and 4 modules. fb_con, and various other things as well.

So then I tried the kernel you compiled and instead of complaining it crashed to a black screen.

I think matrox needs to have the kernel compiled specially for it, removing one feature used by vesafb. Framebuffer HOWTO had a section on Matrox.

The instructions called for a long list of advanced low-level drivers, and multihead, and matrox acceleration and millenium II (to optimized performance) and to NOT set up for vesa framebuffer (VESA vga graphic console) which WAS needed for vesafb.

I have notes about using fbset fbset -fb /dev/fb -vyres 600 (?).

And con2fb to split consoles between monitors.

I might try this again in a year or two. Thanks for compiling the kernel and xfbdev. I hope they are helpful to other people who cannot use Xvesa. I might try the Matrox card in one computer for a while with vesafb (the computer where the S3 cards are not working right with resizecons or links2 svgalib - nothing to lose).