baslinux - Re: [BL] framebuffer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] framebuffer
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:37:11 +0000 (UTC)

The SW7.1 bare.i does not support framebuffer and I could not find a SW7.1 kernel which looked like it would, but SW8.1 bare.i does. SW8.1 has a lot fewer (and larger) kernels.

experimental = y
video select = y
fb = y
fb vesa = y (should work with all my cards as vesafb)
fb_con_adv = y
and modules for
matrox (millenium and other cards = y)
aty
sis
radeon
3dfx (I have one)
voodoo1
Riva

I could NOT find on that same CD any modules for SW8.1 - where might they be? I need FB_CONS for 2-32, possible FB_VGA, FONTS 8x8 and 8x16..... as well as matroxfb for SW8.1 kernel.

I tried that kernel anyway with the matrox.

Text console 100x37 worked
Xvesa and xfbdev both worked (Xvesa worked with all kernels so far, I got it wrong before; xfbdev with framebuffer kernels - David's and SW81)
svgalib DOES NOT work with this bare.i kernel but it DOES WORK with David's kernel and the BL2 kernel. I wonder why.

"map error in paged screen memory"

Maybe it is something to do with fb or fb_vesa?

The only advantage to using this card with a framebuffer kernel (David's) so far is that it provides nicer looking small text, with no loss of other functions. And if I can find the modules it should also work as a second card since multihead is enabled (y).

Still cannot open GPM mouse so I can't use links2 graphically with fb (or with this kernel, with svgalib).