baslinux - Re: [BL] framebuffer

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] framebuffer
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:07:54 +0000 (UTC)

If i dial the BBS directly and then ssh from there to here (both are shell accounts) pine appears at 80x25 and then so does everything I do afterwards. If I ssh here directly via my ISP the rows and columns remain at their original settings. Fixed.

The Voodoo card acts just like the Matrox card apart from having 8X the RAM and getting a lot hotter, and it does NOT work with svgalib.

So if you don't want to bother with XF86Config and a regular X server, these two cards could be used with framebuffer and xfbd. They do NOT work well with Xvesa (they work, but when you exit the console is too dim to read). If you are happy doing everything in X, they are okaywith Xvesa.

The Stealth II S220 with 4MB RAM works fine with Xvesa but not at all with xfbdev. It won't work with resizecons. It is best used with the framebuffer kernel if you want more text modes, but with Xvesa as the X server.

All the cards work with framebuffer text modes.

Framebuffer is usful where you want more text modes if the card won't support resizecons, and with cards that won't support Xvesa at all.

The regular Bl3 kernel is 435K, the framebuffer kernel which David compiled, that was supposed to also support S3 cards in fb mode but does not seem to do so, is 479K.

These might be the same size without the S3 patch, and usable to run BL3 2-floppy on a system with framebuffer support that did not work with Xvesa. I don't know if you could simply substitute xfbdev for Xvesa - anyone want to try this? I am in Bl2 right now.

It might even work from 2 floppy disks BL3.

Xvesa is 945K and works with the regular kernel
To change text modes you need another 17K of files = 962K total
plus another kernel option found in BL2 but not BL3 which may be in this fb kernel (ability to select VGA text modes)

xfbdev is 969K

So there is little if any size difference between framebuffer/xfbdev and resizecons/Xvesa.

Are there other people on the list using VESA 2.0 cards which don't work with Xvesa?

This still does not fix Chips and Technologies problems - laptops where Xvesa thinks you have 4 color when is really 16M.

Any ideas on links2 -g and the GPM mouse which is not being opened in framebuffer mode?