baslinux - Re: [BL] framebuffer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] framebuffer
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:15:10 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> The first card I tried with framebuffer and David's patchedkernel
> that works with S3, was an S3 Trio64V and it did not work as a
> framebuffer device.

Try vga=ask. When it asks for a mode, try a lower resolution, and also
try (separately) using the scan option to look for different modes.
Does it work on any other S3-style cards? If it doesn't, then I built
a kernel for no reason, and the patch is useless.

> The second card, Stealth II 220 with Rendition chip, worked as
> framebuffer and looks nice at 800 and 1024 resolution, but could
> not open GPM mouse for links2, and it crashes completely to a black
> screen, not rebootable, with xfbdev (in BL2, with libm.so.5 from
> BL3 - BL3 can't even find the cursor font for it).

I hope to have solved both of these issues, by building a new Xfbdev.
I botched the previous job, and built a server that kind of works,
but has some bugs. Try the new one, it's in the vesafb.tar.gz file at
my site. It's compiled statically against uClibc (with -static) so it
should run well on either BL. It also has built-in fonts, so that
problem should be gone.

> I have not got links2 -g to work with framebuffer. svgalib won't
> work with 2 of these 3 cards either so I don't recommend using them
> unless youdon't want to use zgv, seejpeg, bmv, and svgalib outside
> of X (won't work in svgalib or in fb modes).

Does this links2 even have framebuffer support? It's optional.

> THese cards produce nicer looking 132x50 than does resizecons, and
> also 100x37, but not 80x37 (unless I get fbset to work with matrox).

Does it not work with matrox? For matrox cards, you need to boot normally,
without a framebuffer, then load the matroxfb modules.

> Any ideas how to get links2 to open GPM mouse?

Is that the problem? Or does it not work at all?

> > When I dial my bbs I am in 37 lines but when I use pine 80x25 and after
> > exiting pine everything stays at 80x25 - how to fix this?

> > The fb cursor offline was a rectangle alternating between dark
> > and medium bright but online it is bright all the time (at least
> > after exiting pine - did not pay attention before this).

Is this with the framebuffer? Does it actually switch resolutions on you?

> I don't know if you could simply substitute xfbdev for
> Xvesa - anyone want to try this?

For certain you can, as long as the framebuffer is working. Xfbdev and Xvesa
are nearly identical, except for the different drivers.

> This still does not fix Chips and Technologies problems - laptops
> where Xvesa thinks you have 4 color when is really 16M.

That may require a bigger X server.

> The vesafb.tar.gz package contains some modules (for which kernel?)

2.2.16. The custom one I made.

> Is this file taken from Slackware 4.0

No. To my knowledge, 4.0 isn't even a 2.2.16 kernel.

> or did you compile it, David?

I did.

> I was expecting to install the XFBDev.tgz package from Slackware 7.1
> - does this xfbdev program do something different from that server?

I believe that's a full-size X server. Much larger, more complicated, no
more functionality.

> fbset in this same package tells me my resolution and H and V frequencies.
> I have not tried setting modes with it yet as I don't know how -
> David said it would not work with S3 but maybe it will with the
> Rendition chip.

It won't work, period, with vesafb, as VESA does not allow for changing beyond
the defaults.

> ATI framebuffer cards need a different kernel from matroxfb and
> vesafb so I can't try that one yet with framebuffer.

I thought I put that in my kernel .config.

1) New Xfbdev binary, try it and see if it works
2) S3 VESA 1.2 cards may be usable, otherwise that patch and kernel based
on it were pointless.

Did I miss anything you asked for in the messages today?

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com