baslinux - Re: [BL] framebuffer

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] framebuffer
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:18:27 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> The new S3 card in this different computer did not work in the
> framebuffer modes, "undefined mode number". Can anyone else check
> out this kernel for the S3 patch?

Apparently Xvesa works with these cards. Getting X to run on those
cards was why I built this kernel. It looks like that purpose has
already been fulfilled.

> > Okay, maybe tomorrow or this weekend. I spent all day on testing
> > first the cards and then the software and need a break/
>
> I will take the break tomorrow, I guess.

Whenever. It looks like this project is finished.

> Neither of them works with the Rendition card. The old one worked
> with Matrox and Voodoo. I did not test the new one with them -
> should I?

No, that's OK.

> Two Trio64 cards did not work, one in each of two computers.
> Should I try Virge next? They appear to have the same text modes
> (same files work with resizecons).

I doubt those would work.

> I was unable to properly decompress vesafb.tar.gz with BL3:
> After matroxfb it said "invalid tar magic".
>
> mdacon.o should have come out next. In BL2 it was 1/2 the size of
> the previous version. I copied over xfbdev from BL2 to BL3.

Looks like Geocities at its finest. Is the tarball the right size?
If not, wget -c if you want the whole thing.

> There are some files in the package which are just lists of modules.

They have no function, and are the result of an overeager cp command.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com