baslinux - Re: [BL] Printing scanned files

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Printing scanned files
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:29:53 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> Does anyone else on the list have other printers they want supported?
> You could post a list of files in netpbm and let people choose.

I just made a decision: since it's only 650-700k, I included everything.
Download the pbmtox.tar.gz file again. I've updated it.

> > Probably. I'm still trying to figure out if mine works, as I don't
> > remember any trouble at 8-bit with Xvesa.
> Let us know.

Turns out that it does not work any differently from the Xvesa which
comes with BL. Bummer. I scanned the code for color depth-specific code.
I didn't find any. The problem appears to be BIOS/card-related.

> It is VESA 2.0 but the instructions said to use matroxfb not vesafb.
> It might work with vesa but not as well?

I will build an FB kernel, with those patches. Per usual, look on my
website tomorrow for the zimage, and other stuff that you need.

> > Xfbdev (the other FB server) uses the KDrive architecture instead, like
> > Xvesa. It's a little smaller than Xvesa, and doesn't need command-line
> > arguments for most setups.
>
> What is Kdrive?

It's an alternative X server architecture. Unlike the main architecture,
Kdrive is relatively small, and resource-friendly. It also doesn't need
a config file, but takes its options from the command line.

> I got totally confused trying to figure out
> framebuffer and Xvesa and Kdrive. Will Kdrive work on VESA 1.2?

Yes, the Xfbdev server will, if you can get a working framebuffer.
I will include the patches necessary for the S3 cards.

> Maybe I was reading about some older version which did not? You
> were supposed to use video=vesa:ypan or ywrap.

Those are for selecting different scroll modes. You probably won't
need those.

> I will try this on my computer with the AGP Trio 3D some year if
> you can put together a user-friendly setup for BL2 or BL3.

No guarantee on the user-friendly part. I'll try to make it simple.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com