baslinux - Re: [BL] Printing scanned files

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Printing scanned files
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 01:05:03 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> pbmtoepson filename.pbm > /dev/lp0
>
> Printed a few characters, one at the start of each line, and then
> beeped, and stopped printing. BL2 and BL3 printed different
> garbage.
>
> Maybe a REAL Epson is needed?

Probably. I have no idea what format all these printers take.

> I have no other printers hooked up
> at present - one laser won't accept input, another has a paper jam,
> the Deskjet 670 keeps going offline, and I need to hook up the
> printers in the other room via a switchbox soon. I have ESCp/2 and
> Deskjet 500 there to try and another Panasonic. Will try pbmtolj
> (on the deskjet) and pbmtoescp2.

OK. If you can get anything to work, let me know and I'll make a new
tarball, with only these included:

pngtopnm
jpegtopnm
giftopnm
tifftopnm
pstopnm

(for conversion, and also vice versa, p?mtojpeg, p?mtogif, etc)

pbmscale
pbmreduce
pnmcrop
pnmmontage
pnmrotate

(editors)

Also, any printer-specific ones that you request.

> Do you have a printer you could try this on, David?

Unfortunately not.

******************
******************

> Image Magick requires a lot of X libraries even to convert and is
> rather slow. 1 min per pbm > ps on my 200MHz computer, 99.4% cpu
> usage. I am hoping netpbm programs will have fewer dependencies and
> not need X.

They do make a good substitute, even if you can't get the printing ones
to work.

> > Does Ctrl+Alt+SysRq+B reboot the PC?
>
> Did not try. Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing. I think the keyboard has
> stopped responding.

> So Opera would run in 4-bit color? In Windows, anyway, if you are
> 256 colors Opera runs at 16 colors, and you need 32K to get 256
> actual.

But if you trick it into thinking it has a 256-color display, and it
only uses 16 colors, but you have a 16-color display, it would work
just as well as if you had a real 256-color screen mode.

> So 4-bit color might come out 4-color and not be very helpful anyway.
> Maybe this was fixed since 7.23. There is a beta 8.0 for Windows now.

> Xvesa in 8-bit color looks garish - bright red, blue, green in all
> the wrong places. On ANY cards. This means you cannot use it with
> Abiword or Opera or Links2 if your video chip produces 8-bit color or
> less.

Steven seemed to indicate that it's specific to the BL3 version of Xvesa:

8-bit color for Xvesa is PseudoColor. AFAIK the
PseudoColor routine for our version of Xvesa was
non-functional.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com