baslinux - Re: [BL] Printing scanned files

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Printing scanned files
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:46:51 -0500

> > Also, any printer-specific ones that you request.
> pbmto epson escp2 lj lps ppa (in your first package already)

Noted. Do you have any other printers? Or should I build a tarball now
with those and the printer-agnostic ones?

> > 8-bit color for Xvesa is PseudoColor. AFAIK the
> > PseudoColor routine for our version of Xvesa was
> > non-functional.
>
> The Delilinux Xvesa has the same problems, in BL2. Is there a
> later version of Xvesa to try?

Probably. I'm still trying to figure out if mine works, as I don't
remember any trouble at 8-bit with Xvesa.

> Re framebuffer, we have one Matrox Millenium II card that is VESA
> 2.0 and supposedly framebuffer (a more recent sort of XVESA that
> supports up to 1600 resolution). You would need to make a few
> changes to the kernel to support it and it looks rather
> complicated. In addition to 'kernel patches' for S3 Trio64 or
> Virge, there was mention of using UNIVBE in DOS (like UNIVESA) to
> upgrade the VESA capabilities of a card before loading linux with
> loadlin. Maybe you would like to try this out and provide a
> frame-buffer kernel for 'vesafb'. Matrox will not work with that,
> needs 'matroxfb' (compiled into the kernel? Or maybe could be
> modules?).

What?? I thought that you just said it was VESA 2.0. Anything which
supports that will work with vesafb.

> The Matrox cards are the only ones on a list other than MDA that
> could be used as the video card in a dual-head system. With two
> fb devices, you could use con2fb and specify during boot which
> consoles were used with which video chip and monitor, as well as
> setting the resolution by mode number (vga=0301). There is an
> XF68_FBdev X server which supposedly does better than the SVGA one
> (more resolution?). XF86Config also needed.

Xfbdev (the other FB server) uses the KDrive architecture instead, like
Xvesa. It's a little smaller than Xvesa, and doesn't need command-line
arguments for most setups.

> The board that won't do resizecons properly with Virge works with
> Trio64 and Trident and Matrox as expected. In a dual-monitor
> system the MDA consoles are usable (with cursor) only in 80x25
> mode, but you can switch modes to what you want for a while, then
> back to 80x25 to use the second monitor. I fiddled a bit with BIOS
> video shadowing which did not help (it may have made things worse
> to disable it).

I believe that's where some (all?) of your video memory is superimposed
on main memory. Not quite sure, though.

> fbset can be used to enable framebuffer console scrollback
> buffering, which normal vga has by default and mda does not have at
> all. (Shift PageUp or Shift PageDown).

The FB console has it by default, too.

> VESA 2.0 cards on a list did not include my Tseng which claims VESA
> 2.0 but did have PCI cards from ATI, SiS, STB, Riva, Genoa and
> Hercules. Are all AGP cards VESA 2.0?

Probably it's in the spec. AGP came out a while after VESA 2.0.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com