baslinux - Re: [BL] Printing scanned files

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Printing scanned files
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:46:10 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> Is this a patch to the kernel that you posted, or to the source
> code (which would be compiled into a different kernel) and how do I
> use it?

The later. After you've unpacked linux-2.2.16:

cd linux
cat s3pat | patch -p1

> Meaning that any fb program I run would be at that resolution?

Yes, with vesafb. Not all fb programs are full screen.

> Xvesa was a bit simpler but it is still nice to have CLI control.

This is a little more compatible with vesa 1.2 card.

> Would any VESA 2.0 card let me use fbset?

No. Only ones that use more advanced drivers than vesafb, like matrox.

> xfbdev puts you into X? How to add an rxvt, with &rxvt on cli?

Or replace Xvesa with Xfbdev, and use xinit.

> WOuld a different 3D card be of use to you? I have one with heat sinks.

No, thanks. I'm not doing much 3d work these days, and even if I do, I have
two PCs with 3d cards to work with. Heat sinks? Must put out a lot of heat.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com