baslinux - Re: [BL] Printing scanned files

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Printing scanned files
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 20:07:06 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> Downloaded them. Your site still refers to 'some of' the netpbm
> programs and they claim to have over 220 but you list 100+

I didn't compile every single one. The package there only has about 150.

> Could you also post the relevant parts of your .config file for the
> new kernel so that I can modify mine and recompile my own kernel?
> (I included sound support in my kernel for sb16, about 460K kernel).

Attached. Also attached: the patch for S3 cards. You need to patch the
kernel with it if you want to use them.

> I also downloaded your vesafb.tar.gz. Will try to get to this next week.
> I will look in Slackware 7.1 for modules that you did not include.

They are compatible.

> > Now set up your bootloader to use my bzImage. When you boot into the new
> > kernel, you need to set the resolution you want. To do that, pass the
> > vga=xxxx boot parameter to the kernel. Pick one of the following for
> > xxxx:
>
> Is this text mode only?

No. This should give you a framebuffer at the resolution you select.

> With regular VGA you can set vga=ask. Then use restoretextmode -w
> to write whatever mode you are in to a file and resizecons to
> choose modes after booting. Can you do that with fb too?

Not with vesafb, it interacts with the framebuffer. With Matrox, you
probably can use fbset, which I've included. Quick documentation:
fbset -n -xres 800 -yres 600 -depth 16 gives you an 800x600x16 display.
Adjust to suit. You can also change the refresh rate, but that's harder.

> > If you get a screen at the resolution you picked, you're ready to get
> > into X. So unpack the vesafb.tar.gz file, make sure you've got all the
> > fonts from BL3 installed, then first run
> >
> > mknod /dev/fb0 c 29 0
>
> (and you can also set up an fb1, I think it was c 29 32, for
> dual-monitor systems with Matrox as second video chip).

I thought it was M29 m1, but I'm not certain.

> > to set up the framebuffer device. Then, run xfbdev from the vesafb.tar.gz
> > package. You should see the familiar large black X on salt-and-pepper
> > background.
>
> Is this an X server?

Yes. A very simple one.

> Or a program that eliminates the need for an
> X-server and operates like svgalib but at higher resolution (goes
> to 1600).

No.

> Will try in both BL2 and BL3.

The xfbdev server I made is kind of a weird animal: it has a dependency
on ld-linux.so.1 and libm.so.5, but not libc.so.5. My build environment
wasn't too good. Fbset is statically compiled. It's amazing how small
uClibc is when it's static.

> The matrox needed more changes made to the kernel. See the HOWTO
> for matrox or dual-head systems.

Not patches. Matrox multi-monitor support came with 2.2.16. I compiled
it and included the module with the package you got. I belive a simple
insmod will get it set up. You may need to use fbset to change the
resolution from 640x480 or whatever the default is.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com