baslinux - Re: [BL] Printing scanned files

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Printing scanned files
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:49:12 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> Then gs would not print (in linux or in DOS - I am starting to
> suspect the 'new' Virge, which also scrambles the VGA screen
> hopelessly when you exit any svgalib program, need to reboot, and
> resizecons is having lots of problems on this hardware - the other
> three terminals stop being usable when you resize the font on one).

Whoa. So it's a good idea to stay away from the Virge?

> Is there any non-X image printing program for linux?

Do the netpbm tools count?

> I can't print
> images in X as root or get Xvesa with rxvt working as user. You
> should not need to view what you are printing so why X?

Can't you just kill X and print?

> >> pbmtoepson (or even pstoepson) would be nice to have.
> >
> > Shell scripts or aliases to the rescue.
>
> What sort of alias would I use to convert pbm to epson format
> without needing gs?

Sorry. I thought you meant with gs.

> I think I am going to need to learn to compile netpbm.

I'll try and compile it. Check my website tomorrow for the binaries.

> Should it go away when you type reset?

Not necessarily. I have experienced a similar problem with programs
that directly touch the video hardware. Often you need to change the
video mode to reset everything. Reset merely resets your terminal
settings, it doesn't touch the Linux console interface.

> Tseng and Trident seemed to both work just fine but they only go to
> 1280, and S3 to 1600. Just found a free 1600 dpi monitor. I would
> use the Trio64V but it does not provide enough colors to do Opera
> with Xvesa at even 1280 (needs 15-bit color).

I would like to squash this color problem once and for all, by adding
an option to Xvesa that allows you to simulate more colors to programs
that connect to it. Probably just a dream, but maybe it is possible.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com