baslinux - Re: [BL] Reflection: BL/Low Ebay Prices.

  • From: Dean Coffey <dean_coffey AT alltel.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Reflection: BL/Low Ebay Prices.
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:32:33 -0600

3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
rvijay07 wrote:

With PCs becomming so cheap is there a need for Projects like BL ?

Cheap to you is not cheap to me. 486 laptops with
4mb still sell for $50 on our local auction. My best
laptop is such a machine (which I upgraded to 12mb by
purchasing a $10 used memory module). I use it for
Powerpoint-type presentations using BL3 and MagicPoint.
Is it useful? Hell yes. Without it, my submissions to the local council would have much less impact. My opponents have fancy Powerpoint laptops for their submissions. Without my MagicPoint I would be at a severe disadvantage (unfortunately elected councillors are more impressed by colorful graphics than reasoned analysis).

Same here. I recently bought an IBM 486 SX-33 with 8 Megs of RAM and 250 Meg HD on ebay super cheap, IMO--US$15. I have BL1 running on it now, and I'm in the process of getting X running on it. Just needed something to tinker with and use the Internet every once in a while--much to painful with Win3.1 for me. So, I have quite a bit of space for DOS apps, and a good chunk of the small HD is now dedicated to BL1.

--
Dean