baslinux - Re: [BL] Reflection: BL/Low Ebay Prices.

  • From: Ken Martwick <kenm AT surfbest.nrt>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Reflection: BL/Low Ebay Prices.
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 05:59:44 -0800

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 03:31:20PM +0000, sindi keesan wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Ken Martwick wrote:
>
> >I agree that BL is still useful to me though I sometimes
> >run Slackware 9.1 and 10.0 on CPU's up to Athlon.
> >Ken Martwick
>
> For what purpose do you use the later Slackwares? Later hardware?
>
> So far the only thing we have used 8.1 for is to test whether a USB mouse
> worked (before plugging it into a PS/2 adaptor). But our newest computer
> is 1999.

Both later hardware and later software work better on the later versions.
Software that is actively developed moves toward later kernels that tend
to need later support programs. For instance, I am again running the
openMosix clustering software which was discussed on this list some
time ago. It currently supports only 2.4.x kernels.
Ken