baslinux - Re: [BL] Reflection: BL/Low Ebay Prices.

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Reflection: BL/Low Ebay Prices.
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:23:14 +1300

rvijay07 wrote:

> With PCs becomming so cheap is there a need for
> Projects like BL ?

Cheap to you is not cheap to me. 486 laptops with
4mb still sell for $50 on our local auction. My best
laptop is such a machine (which I upgraded to 12mb by
purchasing a $10 used memory module). I use it for
Powerpoint-type presentations using BL3 and MagicPoint.
Is it useful? Hell yes. Without it, my submissions
to the local council would have much less impact.
My opponents have fancy Powerpoint laptops for their
submissions. Without my MagicPoint I would be at a
severe disadvantage (unfortunately elected councillors
are more impressed by colorful graphics than reasoned
analysis).

BL3 is useful to me. I know of no other Linux that
would make my laptop so useful. So I make BL3 available
to anyone who is in a similar position, who has a perfectly
good 486 or early Pentium and would like to put a useful
Linux on it.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru