baslinux - Re: [BL] startx problem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] startx problem
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 20:15:32 +0000 (UTC)

On a computer with Win98 or Win98 (or probably also WinME).

From DOS or a DOS box:

attr -r -s -h msdos.sys

Edit so that it reads, in part:

BootMulti=1 (I don't know what this line does, I did not change it).
BootGUI=0 (I changed this from 1 so it goes into DOS not Win98)
logo=0 (To avoid the Windows logo)
DoubleBuffer=1 (etc.)

You can then rehide with attr +r +s +h msdos.sys.

This boots into DOS with autoexec.bat and config.sys. Type win from here to get into Windows. No boot menu needed.

If, however, I keep hitting F5 while booting, it tells me
'bypassing system files'
and autoexec.bat and config.sys are ignored.

Then Xvesa ought to work right, but DOS won't be very happy without high memory. Windows has its own autoexec.bat and config.sys files, and they are still valid in a DOS box, which is why you can't run Xvesa from a DOS box and see any improvement.

I don't know if hitting F8 and then F5 during boot is possible to accomplish the same thing.