baslinux - Re: [BL] startx problem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Mark Glassberg <vzeeaxwl AT verizon.net>
  • Cc: BasLinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] startx problem
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:11:35 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Mark Glassberg wrote:

You were right. When I eliminated himem and smartdrive from the system
files, startx worked fine. Thanks.

Just curious, what OS are you using? Normally Win98 DOS himem.sys does not interfere with Xvesa for me, but it DOES on one of two Gateway motherboards which are nearly identical (233 vs 266MHz cpu), with the same software. MS-DOS never works, DR-DOS always works.

Steven, is there some way you could make it clearer to new users that they should boot without an autoexec.bat if using MS-DOS 6.x or later?
I recall several people writing in with this same problem, one of whom figured out to hit F8 to go straight into DOS. Can you go straight into DOS without system files on a Win9x computer? I know in straight DOS you hit F5.

There is a way to set up Win9X DOS to go into DOS not Windows, something like bootgui=0 instead of bootgui=1 in msdos.sys (attr -r -s -h first).
Then type win if you want Windows.