baslinux - Re: [BL] startx problem

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: vzeeaxwl AT verizon.net, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] startx problem
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 15:51:03 +0000 (UTC)

What version of DOS are you booting from and can you boot from a DOS floppy disk without any autoexec.bat or config.sys on it? If you are booting from a computer with DOS and not Windows on it you can also hit F5 to 'bypass system files' while booting. himem.sys in MS-DOS 6.22 and sometimes other verions somehow interferes with Xvesa. (It works for me on one computer with Win98 DOS but not on another nearly identical computer, same motherboard or a slightly different version of it).

If you only have Windows, make a Windows boot disk and delete autoexec.bat and config.sys before using it to boot. Don't boot from a DOS window.

I think maybe this has something to do with how himem.sys handles memory (ROM?). Don't really understand. DR-DOS has always worked for me with Xvesa. MS-DOS 6.22 never. MS-DOS 5.0 or 3.3 might work better - ask Steven. I did not try PC-DOS or FreeDOS with himem.sys and Xvesa.