baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 add-on

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 add-on
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:12:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> I have just uploaded a new add-on for BL3. It's icewm, a
> very nice window manager. Use pkg to install it. It will
> automatically replace swm.

Thanks. Icewm will work without a mouse, unlike swm.

> The next add-on will probably be Netscape 3.04 (if I can get
> it to run on Xvesa).

links2 graphical would be nice if someone wants to compile it for that
library. I forget what the advantage of Netscape is other than it is
already compiled. Does it do more HTML and more javascript than links2
graphical even though it is older?

Can I just set up cardmgr in BL2 the same as in BL3 latest version? Same
kernel modules but do I have to add any library-dependent binaries? We
now have the Toshiba pentium laptop working with its hard drive. FreeDOS
fdisk formatted it so it could be used with FreeDOS (after MS 6.22, Win95,
Win96, PC-DOS and DRDOS only produced gibberish file names and no
recognizable partitions) and we can now use loadlin with BL2 rather than
needing BL3 on hard drive booting with lilo from floppy disk. The
computer has a PCMCIA modem. 500 MB hard drive, 24MB RAM. Worked with
SW71/lilo from floppy disk.

> BTW, I have spent the last week experimenting with uClibc and
> have decided *not* to use it for BL3. Unfortunately, uClibc
> is not completely happy with a 2.2 kernel. To use it for BL3,
> I would need to upgrade the kernel to 2.4 (which I do not want
> to do). So, we stick with libc5.

That will make it easier to add packages from SW at least. What exactly
happens when you try to use uClibc with 2.2 kernel?

You said you got the BL2 2.2 kernel compiled smaller than the BL1 kernel.
Why can't the 2.4 kernel be compiled as small? Or what other problem
would there be in using that kernel? Are there any advantages to using
2.4 on older hardware?

Have you finished unpacking?

I will stop waiting for your uClibc version and install BL3 to our 486
laptop now. Many thanks for so many linuxes that work where other linuxes
fear to tread. Next challenge is a SCSI scanner with BL2 kernel and SCSI
modules added - or is this the wrong approach?

Has anyone successfully used BL2 with USB, in particular with a memory
card reader? I got rather lost reading about this as there are three
types of USB and three different kernel modules needed, to start with.
Please change the subject line if you reply.