baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 add-on

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 add-on
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 08:11:07 +1200

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> links2 graphical would be nice if someone wants to compile it
> for that library. I forget what the advantage of Netscape is

Netscape 3.04 is faster.
Netscape 3.04 is prettier.
Netscape 3.04 has comprehensive mail/news capabilities.

> Does it do more HTML and more javascript than links2 graphical

Probably.

> Can I just set up cardmgr in BL2 the same as in BL3 latest version?

No. I simplified it for BL3. For BL2 you need to install the
pcmcia.tgz package from Slackware 7.1 and play with the config
files.

>do I have to add any library-dependent binaries?

Everything you need is in the pcmcia.tgz package.

> What exactly happens when you try to use uClibc with 2.2 kernel?

Most things compile just fine. However, the occasional program
(like nano) malfunctions when you run it on a 2.2 or earlier
kernel. All problems disappear when you run it on a 2.4 or
later kernel.

> You said you got the BL2 2.2 kernel compiled smaller than the
> BL1 kernel.

By stripping out a lot of the functionality. A 2.0 kernel with
the same functionality would be smaller.

> Why can't the 2.4 kernel be compiled as small?

Because kernel overhead increases as you go from 2.0 to 2.2 to 2.4.

> Are there any advantages to using 2.4 on older hardware?

Most kernel developments have been targetted at improving performance
benchmarks (based on top-end hardware). Any improvements for old
hardware are coincidental and are usually outweighed by the larger
kernel footprint.

> Have you finished unpacking?

Yes and no. The important stuff has been unpacked, but there are
still a dozen boxes unopened (some of which will probably not be
opened for months).

> Has anyone successfully used BL2 with USB,

I'm not sure that a 2.2 kernel does USB. You might need a 2.4.
That's another reason for upgrading kernels -- to accommodate
new types of hardware. However, that is not a problem for
BasicLinux, which is squarely aimed at old hardware.