baslinux - [BL] Question about installpkg

  • From: Andy Ashbaugh <andy AT andyashbaugh.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Question about installpkg
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:01:29 -0500

Hey folks:
I hope everyone's not too sick of me, because I have another issue that I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on. I was trying to install the GUI for BL2 and following the straight forward instructions on http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/baslinux/bl2/bas-x.htm. Running installpkg worked fine for the first six packages (all downloaded from the Slackware 7.1 mirror). On the special BL package, however, I get this error read-out:

gzip: bl2-x.tgz: not in gzip format

gzip: bl2-x.tgz: not in gzip format
expr: syntax error

expr: syntax error

At first I thought maybe I got this error because I hadn't uncompressed the archive at all after the download. So I went back to my primary box, uncompressed the bl2-x.tgz -> bl2-x.tar and tried again. I get the same error.
Later, I found that whenever I tried to install ANY of the packages at James' or JP's site I got this same error. Is there a reason that installpkg recognizes the archives I get from Slackware and not from BL sites? Could my browser (Mozilla 1.7 on an XP box) be saving them incorrectly? Any suggestions to help correct this problem?

Andy