baslinux - [BL] Finally, old laptop success: ready for testing

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Finally, old laptop success: ready for testing
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 09:45:26 -0500 (CDT)

Well, I finally managed to resurrect my old BL laptop and am now ready for
a bit (to be pursued occasionally as I can spare time from my main task
for the next few months) of BL3 testing. If you recall, I could not get
the computer to boot into DOS, and so was unable to run BL3 loop
filesystem. The machine would just hang on the hardware/drive check. I
ran some diagnostics on the drive last night, but they turned up no
problems. I decided to once again go through BIOS settings after this.
Sure enough, changing the HD parameters from "user" specified (which had
worked previously) to "auto" was all that was needed. It booted right up
into DOS after I did that and - hip hip hooray! - into BL3. This is BL3
2.0, if memory serves. I am happy to report that my pcmcia network card
works just fine, and gets its IP just fine on running udhcpc (inserted
those in /etc/rc). I am also pleased to report that Xvesa fires up great,
and deals with my touchpad mouse as a regular ps2 mouse. So, everything
looks and works great. Now, I just need to map out some additional steps.
I'll pose a few questions for Steven

So, for BL3 testing on this laptop, what suggestions for HD layout can you
make, Steven? At the moment, I have a 100MB DOS partition that's actually
a little over 1/2 full (fs.img is there and I've backed up some additional
data from the former BL install). I have about 650MB of free space on
this drive, where nothing has yet been installed. I see two or three
potential scenarios for setting this up for BL3 testing: 1) I could turn
the 650MB free space into an extended DOS partition and locate various
fs.img's there; 2) I could expand my 100MB partition to take up the whole
drive and just put any fs.img's on c; 3) I could make 2 (or more)
additional partitions in the existing free space for ext2fs HD install(s)
of BL3. Have I missed and possibilities? Please offer any suggestions
you may have, Steven, so I can jump into some beta-testing here. Good
work, btw!

James