baslinux - Re: [BL] ethernet problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ethernet problem
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 21:26:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > various of its cards use wd, smc-ultra,
>
> Keep in mind that wd and smc-ultra need the 8139 helper module.

I have an ISA smc-ultra card and will bear this in mind. I had not heard
of an 8139 helper module, only 8390 - did you mean that one? My source
for the smc info said to use 8390 with the wd. I have been using it with
ne2k-pci.

> > I have run out of possibilities for pci cards.
>
> You seem to have particularly bad luck. I have four different
> pci network cards and they all work fine with modules from
> Slackware 7.1. Perhaps people are only giving you weirdo NICs?

If I had followed your advice to run this through net.I I would have
discovered that one of the four most recent pci cards was a clone of
something common (rtl8139). So far two dead cards and three pci's that
don't have SW71 modules but the rest use the modules in BL2 plus tulip and
rtl8139 (except for an ancient Intel with AUI). I probably have seven
useful cards now plus a few ISA that I have not tried.

> > I think Steven added an additional driver module or two to BL3,
>
> The modules I added to BL3 were for PCMCIA (laptop) cards.
>
> > hopefully including the rtl8139.
>
> No, that is not in BL3. You can get it from the /modules
> directory of Slackware 7.1.
>
> > Tulip is another common one, used by many intel-chip clones,
>
> That one is also available from Slackware 7.1.

I got them. Did you include any pci modules other than ne2k-pci?
Pci ethernet cards date from at least 1997, which is older than SW71, but
newer than the BL2 target 486. Apart from these oddball ethernet cards,
BL2 has supported all the hardware I tried it on (of course not including
sound unless I use a different kernel). Redhat 6 would not even read 720K
floppy disks.