baslinux - Re: [BL] ethernet problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ethernet problem
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 14:10:20 -0400 (EDT)

I returned the two winbond-840 pci cards and got two others.
One is a Netgear FA311 which is supported in linux and takes the natsemi
driver. (I have not checked whether SW71 provides this as a module).

The other has a big MPX chip which is not the maker. I searched on the
FCC number to no avail. Found 143127-411 drivers at driverguide for DOS
and Win98 and it says this is an SMC card. The linux online howto says
SMC bought out other companies and various of its cards use wd, smc-ultra,
tulip, or rtl8139, but this card was not listed at all.

I have run out of possibilities for pci cards. If I cannot get either of
these to work I will have to renege on my promise to send the two pci
BNC/RJ45 to a list member. Does anyone have a pci RJ45 card with SW71
driver that they don't want? (Or would the list member who would like my
BNC cards want to give a try at compiling the winbond-840 module? Do you
really need the entire kernel source code in order to compile modules, or
just the headers?) It would be nice to get this project finished so that
I can switch over to my two new computers, now that we fixed the hardware
problems with the other one (for some reason the 360K B: drive was
disabled by default, and the CD-ROM cable was not plugged in all the way).