baslinux - Re: [BL] ethernet problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ethernet problem
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:22:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > ftp.scyld.com/pub/network
> >
> > They have all or at least many of the drivers for the
> > newer cards. Perhaps Steven can find the time to compile,
> > for 2.2.16, the ones missing from SW71?
>
> There are two reasons why I will not be doing that:
> (1) I thoroughly test everything I compile. There is no way
> for me to test drivers for hardware I do not possess.
> (2) BasicLinux is designed for old PCs. Providing drivers
> for newer hardware is not a priority.

This card is, I think, from 1997, which is not all that new.
Would it take very long for you to explain, in simple terms, how to
compile the kernel module so I can do it myself? I have the source code
(winbond-840.c) and the files that you said are needed for compiling, But
I am using glibc 2.2.5 so other users might not be able to use what I
compile. I would offer to test something that you compiled but I don't
really know how to do anything except ping/send/receive. I notice some
drivers are set for 'wake on LAN' and other tricks.

> > There is supposed to be a way to use drivers for later
> > modules, but the kernel has to be compiled to be capable
> > of this. Is ours?
>
> You will find that information in the kernel config (which
> is available for every BasicLinux kernel and every Slackware
> kernel). CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is not set.

Would you consider, if you ever compile the kernel again, adding this
feature, so that it will be easier to find modules which are not supplied
with Slackware 7.1? I don't know how much larger it makes the kernel.

I will see if bare.i has this set and if so, try to find the module for a
later kernel and use that. I think I saw it for 2.2.19 somewhere.
Can you explain how to use the later module if CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is set?