baslinux - Re: [BL] ethernet problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] ethernet problem
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 14:45:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I returned the two winbond-840 pci cards and got two others.
> One is a Netgear FA311 which is supported in linux and takes the natsemi
> driver. (I have not checked whether SW71 provides this as a module).
It does not.

> The other has a big MPX chip which is not the maker. I searched on the
> FCC number to no avail. Found 143127-411 drivers at driverguide for DOS
> and Win98 and it says this is an SMC card. The linux online howto says
> SMC bought out other companies and various of its cards use wd, smc-ultra,
> tulip, or rtl8139, but this card was not listed at all.

A google search on 143127-411 got me back to the driverguide listing and I
looked at the included files for this card number (aka LF-H50M, Lancom)
for the Windows/DOS drivers and there is much mention of rtl8139!!!!!

Sticking it in the computer and running net.i would probably have also
given me the same results but I am not at a linux computer.

My other pci card has an rtl8139 chip on it so with luck I will have a
working pair of these to replace the BNC pci cards which use ne2k-pci.

I think Steven added an additional driver module or two to BL3, hopefully
including the rtl8139. Tulip is another common one, used by many
intel-chip clones, but it is rather large. Perhaps these could be
compiled smaller without things like wake on LAN.