baslinux - Re: [BL] The Fast-Food Syndrome: The Linux Platform is Getting Fat

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] The Fast-Food Syndrome: The Linux Platform is Getting Fat
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 10:00:34 +1200

James Miller wrote:

> "Consider these memory requirements for Fedora Core 2, as
> specified by Red Hat: Minimum for graphical: 192MB and
> Recommended for graphical: 256MB
> Linux is getting very fat.

Fedora is getting very fat.

> Arch Linux or Slackware run Gnome on 128 MB, but not very
> comfortably when you load 2-3 apps at the same time

Gnome is getting very fat.

> desktops and apps are bloating beyond control,

Desktops are getting very fat.

> and it's starting to put Linux in a troublesome situation.

Linux != Fedora. Linux != Gnome. Linux != Desktops.

What we have is some people developing distributions and
applications (based on Linux) for the great unwashed, the
mass market: point and click, pre-configured everything,
wall-to-wall eye-candy.

Yes, all of that rubbish creates bloat. And the more you
do for the idiot user, the more bloat you get. But that
has nothing to do with Linux.